The Grand Rapids Chamber continues to work toward cultivating a region that is thriving and prosperous for ALL. In the first quarter of 2021, emerging from a year of much fluidity, change, growth, and challenge, we are proud to share the following highlights:
GR Chamber Leads Statewide Housing Coalition
- Housing supply and affordability is a critical workforce, talent, and quality of life issue in West Michigan. As a result, Housing Michigan, a coalition led by the Grand Rapids Chamber alongside partnering organizations will work to address the state’s housing crisis through a series of bipartisan legislative initiatives…learn more.
Chamber Leads Creation of First in Nation Childcare Program
- The tri-share pilot program is the first of its kind and offers a unique and innovative way of thinking about child care funding, accessibility, and affordability…learn more.
Open Michigan Safely
- With the vaccine rollout well underway in Michigan, it’s time to set a date when we can welcome indoor meetings, conventions, and events back to the Great Lakes State and reclaim billions in revenue lost to the pandemic. The Grand Rapids Chamber has called upon Governor Whitmer to urge for the reopening of indoor meeting, convention, and event space …learn more.
Event Venues/Banquet Center Advocacy
- On March 8, the Grand Rapids Chamber organized a letter signed by more than a dozen organizations asking Governor Whitmer and MDHHS to take immediate action to allow wedding venues and banquet centers to open safely. In addition to the letter, we also hosted a press conference…learn more.
Driving Equitable Economic Impact
- We recently introduced the Grand Rapids Chamber Minority Business Councils and Business Liaisons. Through these expanded resources, we will partner with community centers of influence to deliver programming to minority business communities in underserved areas and offer consult through the perspective of shared lived experiences…learn more.
Grand Rapids Chamber Subject Matter Expert Sought Out as Community Expert in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Ken James, Grand Rapids Chamber Director of Inclusion, served as the West Michigan Community Expert for the Derek Chauvin Trial on 13 on Your Side…learn more.
Grand Rapids Chamber Director of Inclusion Obtains Prestigious Diversity Coach Certification
West Michigan CEO Council
- The Grand Rapids Chamber has assembled a cohort of highly engaged business leaders from diverse industries committed to cultivating a thriving and prosperous West Michigan for all. This council will serve to play a key role in the development of a shared future, by making meaningful connections, participating in a forum to discuss challenging issues, and create opportunities to propel the West Michigan community on a continued trajectory of growth…learn more.