Learn about different issues in the LGBTQIA+ community with these educational resources.
- Gender Pronouns
- Flag Colors
- General Terminology
- Michigan’s LGBTQIA+ Policy Tally
- Impact of Stigma & Discrimination Against LGBTQIA+ in Michigan
- Gays in Faith Together (GIFT)
- LGBTQIA+ Liason
- Grand Rapids LGBTQ+ Healthcare Consortium
- The Grand Rapids Trans Foundation
- LGBTQIA+ Senior Citizen Resources
- GLAAD Resources
- Guide to Gender Inclusive Language
- Fair Housing Coalition of West Michigan
Make Your Voice Heard
Make your voice heard by the public officials that represent your community. Learn about the laws that protect you and your rights.
- Contact Your State Government Officials
- Contact your Local Government Officials
Michigan Specific Laws
- Matt Epling Safe School Law (2011)
- Requires all schools to have an anti-bullying policy.
- Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act (1976)
- Prohibits discrimination based on numerous identity qualifiers, including sex, in housing, employment, and education.
- In 2024, legislation will go into effect expanding this act to include protections for LGBTQ individuals.
- Title IX
- Prohibits discrimination based on sex for any federally funded educational activity or program
- Prohibits gender-based harassment, sex stereotyping, or sexual harassment (this includes prohibiting discrimination or harassment for people who do not conform to stereotypical ideas of femininity or masculinity)
- Title VII
- In June 2020, the Supreme Court ruled (Bostock v. Clayton County) that the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, which bans employment discrimination based on sex, also protects people from employment discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity because those identities are inextricably linked to sex.
- 2021 Presidential Executive Order
- President Biden’s order seeks to apply the Title VII decision more broadly, thereby expanding the interpretation to protect against discrimination in any federal program (including housing, education, and health care).
Make It Your Business
These resources are for businesses who want to be allies and create an inclusive work environment.
- Model Transgender Policy
- Restroom Practices Guide
- Trainings and Workshops
- Employee Advocacy Resources
- Out & Equal
- Inclusive Workplaces Policy
- Inclusive Workplaces Policy II
Resources to get involved and make a difference in your community